A trading hub between the Deccan and Delhi in the 16th century, the city of Indore was discovered by Rao Nandlal Chaudhary in mid-1710. Rani Ahilya Bai Holkar, with her keen interest in education and planning , built ths city. Today, Indore the state's largest city, offers a spectacle of majestic palaces co-existing with commercial centers. Apart from being considered as the state's commercial capital. It sis also known for mouth-watering culinary experience. It is in the first 20 cities to be developed as smart cities.
The city of Mandu is adorned with spell-binding Afghan architecture surrounded by baobab trees, native to Africa. The grand palaces are still alive with royal romance while the gateways (darwazas) speak of a history of imperial conquests. A walk through Mandu will leave you awe-struck, the way you used to be listening to stories from grandparents.
Maheshwar is a town in Khargone district of Madhya Pradesh state, in central India. It is located 13 km east of National Highway 3 (Agra-Mumbai highway) and 91 km from Indore, the commercial capital of the state. The Town lies on the north bank of the Narmada River. It was the capital of the Malwa during the Maratha Holkar reign till 6 January 1818, when the capital was shifted to Indore by Malhar Rao Holkar III.
Rajwada is a historical palace in Indore city. It was built by the Holkars of the Maratha Empire about two centuries ago. This seven storied structure is located near the Chhatris and serves today as a fine example of royal grandeur and architectural skills.
Resided by the rulers of the Holkar dynasty, the Lal Bagh Palace is class and grandeur personified. The palace is spread on a sprawling area of 28 acres and reflects the taste of the rulers of the Holkar dynasty. An example of architectural magnificence, this palace once contained one of the best rose gardens in the country.
Central Museum, also known as the Indore Museum, is one of the most interesting buildings in Indore. It is located near the General Post Office in Indore. The Museum exhibits the finest collection of Parmar sculptures from Hinglajgarh. The Parmar style actually originated here only. Its main features include proportioned figures, careful and intricate ornamentation and depiction in stone.
Krishnapura chhatris are located at Indore city of Madhya Pradesh in Central India. They are associated with Holkar rulers who ruled over this Malwa region for long time and did lot of work in this region.
The Gandhi Hall was originally known as King Edward Hall, but H. H. Yeshwant Rao Holkar II (reign: 1926 - 1948) renamed it in 1948, after the death of Mahatma Gandhi ! It was made in the Indo-Gothic style, made of White stones from Seoni & Red stones from Patan in M. P., has magnificent domes and minarets, and a huge clock-tower.